You felt an unpleasant sensation of sourness in the mouth, because of the liquid from the stomach? This reaction is called acid reflux and gastro-esophageal reflux is a disorder of the esophageal sphincter, the valve located between the esophagus and stomach.
Sphincter is to prevent the ascent of stomach contents into the esophagus. When there is a disturbance, sphincter gastric juice passes from the stomach into the esophagus.
Manifestations of gastro-esophageal reflux (GERD)
There are many events that may indicate gastro-esophageal reflux:
* Burns in the neck and chest which usually occur in a lying position and usually occur after eating;
* Difficulty swallowing;
* Cough or pant, often at night, similar to an asthma attack;
* Angina pains.
Complications of gastro-esophageal reflux
In most cases, gastro-esophageal reflux is trivial and does not represent any serious character. However, a gastro-esophageal reflux can complicate in esophagitis caused by an inflammation of the lining of the esophagus. In turn esophagitis can lead to serious complications for the body: esophageal ulcers, GI bleeding, and esophageal cancer in rare cases.
Prevention of GERD
Many foods and drinks are risk factors for gastro-esophageal reflux. Here are the main foods that favor the occurrence of sour sensation in mouth:
* Chocolate helps relax the sphincter muscles which favors gastric movement.
*Milk- fat, protein and calcium present in milk greatly stimulates gastric acidity.
*Fatty foods – foods high in fat increase the secretion of stomach acid. This category includes: cheese, butter, sauces, pastries, etc.
* Citrus – acidity of oranges, lemons and grapefruits increases the acidity of gastric juice.
* Peppermint promotes relaxation of esophagus valve which causes gastro-esophageal reflux.
*Tomatoes and onions – these vegetables irritate the lining of the esophagus and automatically aggravate heartburns.
* Spices foods, herbs – very spicy and flavorful foods irritate the lining of the esophagus and stomach.
* Carbonated drinks can be an aggravating factor in gastro-esophageal reflux, as it causes a feeling of bloating of the stomach.
* Alcohol – alcoholic beverages such as wine, beer or strong alcohol, participate in the esophageal sphincter relaxation, thus favoring the appearance of reflux. The risk is greater when alcohol is consumed on an empty stomach.
* Coffee and tea – certain substances in coffee and tea favor relaxation of the sphincter and irritate the lining of the esophagus.
The essential element of the regime: the patient should not sleep with full stomach!
The disease in most cases will not heal because the cause of reflux remains. It can heal if the cause is delay in gastric emptying. This can happen if someone has duodenal ulcer. It can heal and if hiatal hernia coexists, it is operated and mechanical defect is resolved.
Often the cause is repetitive and transient relaxation of lower esophageal sphincter. This abnormal condition remains unfortunately. Treatment in this case does not address the cause of reflux, but involves a marked decrease in gastric acid secretion. With hygienic and dietary measures the risk of stomach acid contents reflux into the esophagus is less. One of the most important elements of this regime is represented by the idea that the patient should not sleep with a full stomach, and the interval between dinner and sleep to allow gastric emptying.
Natural treatment for gastroesophageal reflux Calivita products
– Chlorophyll extracted from alfalfa from Liquid Chlorophyll supplement composition has anticancer effects, relieves sore throats and acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory agent, stimulates wound healing and is helpful in the digestive system problems.
– Extract from alfalfa from Green Care composition has properties similar to those of Liquid Chlorophyll and is recommended in digestive disorders like bloating, anorexia, and ulcer. It is a good natural diuretic and cleanser.
– Strong Bones – inhibits gastric acid secretion